- Every one of King Hippo's attacks can be avoided by ducking--so keep this in mind for quick-evasive action.
- After dodging either of Hippo's punch attacks (but not the two-fisted slam), he's always left vulnerable--follow up with a quick-jab his noggin, then hook his exposed chest repeatedly.
- After knocking off Hippo's crown, punch him in the same manner again for an instant KO! (see "One-Punch-Knockdown" below for more)
King Hippo is undeniably the hardest opponent you've faced yet. Unlike the others, he'll actually block most of your attacks, and seemingly rarely leaves himself vulnerable. Thankfully, the taped "X" that covers his bellybutton is also a massive weak-spot, capable of taking him down in two hits. However, you have some work to do before he leaves that vulnerable to attack.
When the match begins, Hippo only has two types of attacks: A quick punch, and a claw-swipe. Both of them can be evaded with a duck or dodge in any direction, though ducking is preferred, as this is the only evasive move that can also dodge his third attack, coming later. For the quick-jab, you should dodge the moment the "clicking" sound stops. However, you can also block it for a star opportunity--after blocking, immediately counter with a hook to his bellybutton (you should punch with the same fist that King Hippo uses--that is, if he punched with his right fist, counter with your right). You can unleash the Star Attack at any time, so long as he hasn't backed away. As for Hippo's second attack, the claw-swipe, wait until after the "rumble" and dodge just after he raises his glove in preparation of attacking. After dodging either attack, follow-up with a quick jab to the head to knock his pants off, then target his chest with a series of hooks. Keep this up until you've depleted half of Hippo's health or so.
Once you've depleted half of Hippo's health, he'll try out a new move: a two-fisted slam. There are two ways to deal with this: Ducking or Countering . Ducking is the easier of the two, but Countering is much more effective (which leads into the One-Punch-Knockdown). If you're going for the duck, wait until he backs up then duck just as he raises both fists (when he flashes red)--just be aware that he's not left vulnerable afterward, so you'll have to dodge another move in order to inflict some pain. However, if you want to counter, hook him the very moment he flashes red (and not a moment before)--this will knock off his crown and send him reeling back. Do the exact same thing once more for an instant TKO!
If you're having difficulty performing the One-Punch-Knockdown, either duck keep dodging and countering his moves, much like you did in the beginning, or try to use Star Punches (by blocking and countering his jabs). It'll take longer, but you'll eventually end up triumphed.
- Health Boost!After knocking an opponent down, shake the Wiimote and Nunchuck or hammer on the 1+2 buttons simultaneously (depends on control scheme) as fast as you can to slowly regain energy before they get back up!
- Recover Health Before Rounds 2 or 3:Between rounds, when Doc gives you advice, press the − (minus) button to have Doc eat a candy bar, which will refill most of your life before the next round. You can only do this once per match, so save it for when you're low on energy.
- Extra Life! If you're in the process of being TKO'd (the animation just before Little Mac falls to the ground), immediately shake the Wiimote and Nunchuck or hammer on the 1+2 buttons (depending on control scheme) to have a chance at coming back one last time with a slight bit of health.
- Hippo will occasionally pause to pull up his pants, during which he'll flash gold. Punch him then for a Star.
- Block Hippo's jab attack then immediately counter with a hook to his bellybutton (you should punch with the same fist that King Hippo uses--that is, if he punched with his right fist, counter with your right).
In order to perform the One-Punch-Knockdown on King Hippo, you'll first have to knock off his crown. To knock off his crown, perform a hook the moment he flashes when he backs up to deal his double-fisted slam move. With his crown removed, then repeat the same manuver once more for an instant Knock-Out!
Win the fight…without getting tired.
This one isn't so bad; simply win the bout without tiring Little Mac out--remember, you only get tired by having your punches blocked. As long as you follow out walkthrough above, or use the One-Punch-Knockdown, this shouldn't be a problem.
KO a CROWNLESS King Hippo!!
Knock off King Hippo's crown, then knock him out! To knock off his crown, perform a hook the moment he flashes when he backs up to deal his double-fisted slam move. With his crown removed, then repeat the same manuver once more for an instant Knock-Out!
Defeat King Hippo with ZERO landed jabs!!