- Bear Hugger always opens the match with a taunt, giving you an easy chance for a Star with a counter. Save the Star Punch for his second taunt, 5 moves later, for an instant KO.
- The Bear Hug can only be avoided either by ducking (which is easiest) or countering for a Star, which is tougher.
- Every one of Bear Hugger's attacks can be countered for a Star. Check our "Star Opportunities" list below for more.
- Star Punch Bear Hugger during either of his taunts for an One-Punch-Knockdown!
This heavy-weight also has three main moves, one of which is devastating. His two primary moves, a jab-from the right, and a downward punch from the left, can both be evaded with a left-dodge just as they flash red (shortly after he pulls or raises his fist into the attack position). However, both can also be countered to earn a Star if you land a punch the moment they flash red--this can be tricky, so stick to dodging if this gives you trouble. After a successful dodge, immediatly follow-up with a series of jabs to the ahead (avoid using hooks, as they can't be combo'd, so you'll only get one attack in).
Now Bear Hugger's third move, which is aptly an actual bear hug, can be deadly! It can only be avoided by ducking, or if you have impeccable timing, a counter. For most players, you'll find ducking's the way to go--simply duck shortly after he raises his foot, when he flashes red, then follow-up with some jabs. If you're feeling gutsy, you can counter his attack for a Star instead. Punch him the very moment you see him flash red for it.
Alright, so we've mentioned Stars a few times, so let's delve into them. Bear Hugger provides plenty of ways to earn 'em, either by countering his moves, or by punching him during either taunt (specifically, a jab during his main taunt, or a hook when his belly swings close during his "let's dance" taunt). Once you have a Star, it's generally best to save it and unleash the Star Punch during his next taunt, resulting in a One-Punch-Knockdown! If you're having trouble timing it, you may want to unleash the Star Punch when he's stunned instead--it won't be nearly as effective, but at least it'll connect. If you're having counter and/or earning stars, just focus on dodging Bear Hugger's attacks (remember, dodge-left for every attack, except for the Bear Hug, which requires a duck) and immediately following up with a series of jabs (not hooks!).
- Health Boost!After knocking an opponent down, shake the Wiimote and Nunchuck or hammer on the 1+2 buttons simultaneously (depends on control scheme) as fast as you can to slowly regain energy before they get back up!
- Recover Health Before Rounds 2 or 3:Between rounds, when Doc gives you advice, press the - (minus) button to have Doc eat a candy bar, which will refill most of your life before the next round. You can only do this once per match, so save it for when you're low on energy.
- Extra Life! If you're in the process of being TKO'd (the animation just before Little Mac falls to the ground), immediately shake the Wiimote and Nunchuck or hammer on the 1+2 buttons (depending on control scheme) to have a chance at coming back one last time with a slight bit of health.
- Jab Bear Hugger when flashes gold during his taunt, when he sticks his tongue out at you.
- When Bear Hugger backs away and taunts you by twirling his hips ("let's dance"), hook him when he swings his belly toward you (he does it twice, so it's easier if you wait for the second time).
- When you see Bear Hugger getting ready for the Bear Hug, get ready to punch him the moment he flashes red, shortly after he raises his foot.
- Punch Bear Hugger the moment he flashes red, just after he pulls his fist back to the left, before his downward punch.
- Punch Bear Hugger the moment he flashes red, just after he pulls back to the right for his hook.
- Star Punch Bear Hugger anytime during his taunt, when he sticks his tongue out at you, for an instant KO!
- Whenever he backs away and twirls his hips ("let's dance"), Star Punch him as his belly gets close for an instant KO!
Win the fight and evade every Bear Hug!
Easy enough! Either duck or counter each Bear Hug (we strongly suggest ducking, as it's much easier). Of course, the faster you take down Hugger, the less Bear Hugs you'll have to evade, so this challenge kind of goes hand-in-hand with the one below.
TKO Bear Hugger in Round 1.
It's easier than it sounds--really! The trick is to earn a star at a time by countering his moves and unleashing a Star Punch during either of his taunts for an instant KO--do it three times and he's out for good. Remember, Bear Hugger always opens the match with a taunt, giving you an easy star. Once you have a star, that's all you need, so continually dodge his attacks until a taunt comes up. If you don't mind counting his moves, his second taunt is move 6, followed by another 4, then his third 7 after that. If you miss one, don't worry, more will be coming.
Find 5 different ways to earn Stars.
Check out our "Star Opportunities" list above to learn all 5 ways, and perform each during a single match. You do not have to win.