New York, NY - June 26, 2007 - 2K, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), announced today that The Darkness is now available in North America for Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PLAYSTATION3 computer entertainment system. The Darkness is a next-generation, first-person action game that features an immersive and gritty storyline written in collaboration with famed comic book writer Paul Jenkins.
"The Darkness takes the first-person action video game to new depths on both a visual and a gameplay level and brings the graphic novel to grisly new life," said Christoph Hartmann, President of 2K. "Starbreeze Studios really captured the dark and gritty storyline of The Darkness comic book. Players can experience The Darkness through an intense and engaging game that will stay with them long after they've set their controllers down."
Set in the dark and seedy underbelly of New York City and the ethereal realm of The Darkness, players assume the role of mafia hitman Jackie Estacado, heir to "The Darkness," an ancient power that awakens within him on his 21st birthday. Jackie must use traditional weapons as well as learn to command his terrible new powers to seek revenge on his own crime family. The Darkness is based on the best-selling comic book series of the same name, published by Top Cow Productions and created by Marc Silvestri, Garth Ennis, and David Wohl. "The Darkness" comic book launched in 1996 and is currently published in 19 different languages around the world.
"We are excited to work with 2K and Starbreeze Studios to bring The Darkness from the printed page to the next-generation consoles," said Marc Silvestri, Founder of Top Cow Productions. "Since we have all worked very closely on this project, fans of the comic book will be pleased with how accurately and effectively it comes to life as an incredibly visceral and enjoyable video game."
Innovative features include:
- Varying manifestations of the Darkness allow you to devour, impale or implode your enemies. Use the Darkness to toss huge objects like cars as though they were toys.
- Summon darklings - impish and humorous demons - to do your bidding and eviscerate your foes.
- Cannibalize your victims - Slay your enemies and command the Darkness to eat their hearts and increase your strength and power.
- The light is your enemy - Extinguish any light in your path while seeking the shadows wherever possible in order to feed and replenish the Darkness.
- Insane multiplayer - Shapeshift between darkling and human in online multiplayer games and face other players in traditional as well as all-new innovative multiplayer modes.
- Diverse voice talent - An all-star cast adds authenticity to the characters and credibility to the overall cinematic experience, including Kirk Acevedo (Oz, Band of Brothers) as Jackie Estacado, Lauren Ambrose (Six Feet Under) as Jenny Romano, and Mike Patton (Faith No More, Peeping Tom) as the voice of the Darkness.
- In-game television - Watch select shows in their entirety, including everything from Nosferatu to Popeye. Players can also tune into breaking news that directly relates to the storyline.
The Darkness video game is rated "M" for Mature and is now available for Xbox 360 video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PLAYSTATION3 computer entertainment system. For more information, visit The Darkness website at: www.TheDarknessIsSpreading.com. Embrace The Darkness.
About Starbreeze Studios
Starbreeze is a game developer based in Uppsala, Sweden. The company was founded in 1998, and today employs a staff of about 60, of numerous nationalities. Starbreeze has previously released five games, the last one being "Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay" for Xbox and PC, released in 2004.
About Top Cow Productions, Inc.
Top Cow was founded in December of 1992 and currently publishes its line of comic books in 21 languages in over 55 different countries. The company has launched 20 franchises (18 original and 2 licensed) in the industry's Top 10, seven at #1, a feat accomplished by no other publisher in the last two decades. Its flagship franchise Witchblade was TNT's #1 original film of 2000. Virtually all of Top Cow's other properties are in development as feature films, live action television, animation or video games. www.topcow.com
About Take-Two Interactive Software
Headquartered in New York City, Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. is a global developer, marketer, distributor and publisher of interactive entertainment software games for the PC, PlayStation game console, PlayStation2 and PLAYSTATION3 computer entertainment systems, PSP (PlayStationPortable) system, Xbox and Xbox 360 video game and entertainment systems from Microsoft, Wii, Nintendo GameCube, Nintendo DS and Game Boy Advance. The Company publishes and develops products through its wholly owned labels Rockstar Games, 2K and 2K Sports, and Global Star Software; and distributes software, hardware and accessories in North America through its Jack of All Games subsidiary. Take-Two's common stock is publicly traded on NASDAQ under the symbol TTWO. For more corporate and product information please visit our website at www.take2games.com.
Avalanche Studios co-founder says developer's ambition is for action, not moments that make players cry; steampunk-style game on hold. Full Story
- Posted May 15, 2013 11:33 pm AEST
4A Games creative director Andrew Prokhorov thanks Jason Rubin for telling the studio's story, but says, "We deserve the ratings we get." Full Story
- Posted May 17, 2013 5:44 am AEST