Get more information about the game.
989 Sports takes the ice this fall with a line change that includes an all-new franchise, cover athlete and spokesman, and new developer, Page 44 Studios. Officially licensed by the NHL and NHLPA, Gretzky NHL 2005 features fast-paced skating, precision passing, bone-jarring checks and players with that convey the power and emotion of their sport. To challenge the skill levels of all hockey videogame fans, Gretzky NHL 2005 offers the Gretzky Challenge with unlockable, playable Gretzkys from his days as an Edmonton Oiler, Los Angeles King or New York Ranger. Additionally, there are an extensive list of gameplay modes including Tournament Mode with customizable tournaments, Franchise Mode where gamers act as owners, Online Mode with downloadable roster updates and Rivalry Mode, which sets the stage to revisit the ultimate heated match-up time after time. For gamers seeking their chance to truly get in the game, Gretzky NHL 2005 features EyeToy functionality, which allows gamers to put their face into the game and become an NHL player. By combining authentic gameplay, intuitive play controls and an enhanced presentation with the fast, fluid, hard-hitting intensity of arcade style play, Gretzky NHL 2005 delivers the look, feel and passion of hockey and provides gamers with a true-to-life simulation.
- Modes of Play
- Rivalry Mode Designed for two players to pick their favorite match-up and record stats, customize rules and settings, then save it to the memory card. Records lifetime rivalry detailed stats and records that will be stored and visible every time the rivalry is reunited. Stats include: wins, losses, ties, OT losses, win percentage, goals for, goals against, goal differential, most goals (team), most goals (player), most assists (player), most points (player), most saves (player) and many more.
- Online Mode Take a team online and enter the next level of hockey competition in head-to-head play, tournaments with up to 64 teams, with USB headset functionality and downloadable roster updates.
- Franchise (Season) Franchise Mode is highly customizable. Assume the role of GM and the responsibility of franchise ownership including draft, trade and contract negotiations with every player including players from AHL teams. Play the regular 82 game season or multiple seasons with a single team. After the regular season, advance to the playoffs as one of the top 8 teams in each conference, play on and be crowned as the Stanley Cup champion.
- Tournament Create and customize several types of tournament play with up to 16 teams including round robin, single and double elimination and ShootOut, where it is one-on-one between the shooter and goalie. All gameplay options will be saved separately as a distinct part of an ongoing tournament.
- Exhibition Gamers can select their favorite team and face off any NHL rivalry.
- Quick Start The quickest way to the NHL. Jump right in and play with two evenly matched teams ready for action.
- Practice Users can fine-tune their game before heading into live NHL action. Work on power play and short-handed situations as well as traditional hockey fundamentals like shooting, skating, passing, checking and goal tending.
- Gretzky Challenge Through successful gameplay, gamers can earn points by breaking Gretzky's actual NHL records and utilize those points to unlock a playable Gretzky from his days as either an Edmonton Oiler, Los Angeles King or New York Ranger, as well as various jerseys and cheat codes.
- EyeToy Functionality Utilizing the EyeToy USB camera, gamers can take a snapshot of themselves, put their face into the game and truly become an NHL player.
- Create-A-Player Create a player from scratch or edit each existing NHL player.
- Create-A-Team With over 70 team logos to choose from, players can create their own unique version of the next NHL Stanley Cup Champion.
- NHL Coaches Association License All NHL coaches' likenesses have been replicated in life-like detail.
- Breathtaking Arenas All NHL arenas from LA to Boston have been replicated to provide a truly authentic experience including arena-specific game intro sequences and goal horns, interactive crowds with all-new crowd sounds including chants for teams and players, real-time scoreboards with realistic jumbotron and LED board animations.
- World Cup of Hockey Whether playing as or against one of the eight hockey super powerhouses of the world, Gretzky NHL 2005 provides gamers the opportunity to challenge as or against Canada, Chez Republic, Finland, Germany, Slovakia, Russia, Sweden or the United States while vying for the World Cup of Hockey.
Avalanche Studios co-founder says developer's ambition is for action, not moments that make players cry; steampunk-style game on hold. Full Story
- Posted May 15, 2013 11:33 pm AEST
4A Games creative director Andrew Prokhorov thanks Jason Rubin for telling the studio's story, but says, "We deserve the ratings we get." Full Story
- Posted May 17, 2013 5:44 am AEST