Major League Gaming partnering with Korean eSports Association for tournament between the two eSports organizers; 48 top StarCraft II players will compete.
Major League Gaming and the Korean eSports Association today announced a new tournament between the two eSports organizers, titled the "MLG vs Proleague (MvP) Invitational." Later this month, 48 of the world's best StarCraft II players will compete, including 24 players from KeSPA, 12 from North America, six from Europe, and six from Korea/Taiwan. The broadcast begins September 24 at the Major League Gaming website.
"As previously noted, this is just the beginning of our collaboration with KeSPA and IEG," MLG CEO Sundance DiGiovanni told GameSpot. "Our goal is to continue to evolve our league programs and to expand our global partnerships in an effort to create one robust eSport world. By incorporating these players into this combined regional tournament, we are executing our plan of providing a broader platform for Western players, while continuing to foster international competition."
Players announced to compete in the invitational include KeSPA/Brood War-turned-StarCraft II superstars Lee "Flash" Young Ho, Lee 'aedong' Jae Dong, Kim "Bisu" Taek Yong, Song "Stork," Byug Gu, Jung "Fantasy" Myung Hun, and Heo "JangBi" Young Moo. Over the next six weeks, they will compete for $10,000 in prizes, along with eight all-expense paid trips and spots at the MLG Fall Championships in Dallas, Texas. The top eight players will include four from KeSPA, two from North America, one from Europe and one from Korea/Taiwan.
"This flagship competitive program guarantees that top StarCraft II players from KeSPA's Proleague will compete LIVE at the MLG Fall Championship in Dallas," said DiGiovanni. "We plan to expand MvP and roll out new programs in 2013."
"Together with MLG, we are continuing our quest to bring the world’s top players into the international spotlight and the MvP Invitational will further the global expansion of eSports," said Lee Young Hee, President of KeSPA.
Broadcast of the online qualifiers will commence soon, and MLG has tapped ex-Evil Geniuses player Nick "Axslav" Ranish, along with caster and Alex "Axeltoss" Rodriguez to call the action. The full list of KeSPA players competing in the qualifiers can be found at MLG's website. More information will be released soon.
@SolidTy E-sports dont need more sequels, great competitive games last at least a decade on its own, BW lasted 10yrs, 1.6 lasted 10yrs, quake 3 lasted 10 years. If you need a new sequel every 12-18 months, why should I even bother investing the time now when I have to watch something new in the future. Fighting games never work because the only ones people come back to are Street Fighter and Marvel, and both have 2/3 itterations in the past 5 years. If your churning out a new version every 3-5 years, you failed in making a great e-sport.
@Hsanrb I didn't say RAPID sequels, I just said sequels. Keeping the brand strong for 10 years should give impetus to Blizzard or whoever to make a sequel when the time is right.
I don't have a problem with your logic, other than your assumption I'm into rapid sequels, which I'm not. I just said sequels in general.
Instead of say great games from 10-15 years ago that didn't get sequels.
Content you might like…
Users who looked at this article also looked at these content items.
Avalanche Studios co-founder says developer's ambition is for action, not moments that make players cry; steampunk-style game on hold. Full Story
- Posted May 15, 2013 11:33 pm AEST
4A Games creative director Andrew Prokhorov thanks Jason Rubin for telling the studio's story, but says, "We deserve the ratings we get." Full Story
- Posted May 17, 2013 5:44 am AEST