All About azn_chosen_one
Blogging at its best, well not really....
Let's reminisce about the first time we played Street Fighter for a moment.
My inaugural game was Street Fighter II': Special Championship Edition for the Sega Genesis which I bought at a church sale when I was about 9 years old. I never heard of Street Fighter before and I just wanted a new cart for my Genesis. The label had a picture of Bison kicking Guile in the face, at the time it looked like it was an overbite-ridden army dude flying towards a blonde army dude with hairy forearms but I thought to myself: "this looks awesome".
I was oblivious to the fact that special moves existed and I just pressed fierce punch with M. Bison in every match because it looked cool. I also never noticed that there were other sets of punches and kicks until I played it with a six-button controller. Eventually I got bored of hitting one button constantly with Bison. That is until I learned how to perform specials, after throwing my first fireball with Ryu I got obsessed with learning everything I could about the hidden depth. Everyone seems to mispronounce at least one character's names and I was no different, I thought Guile's name was pronounced "Gew-Lee" and proceeded to call him that for about a couple of years.
I, regrettably, never liked going into arcades so I never heard any of the crazy rumors going around about secret characters and insane special moves (along with missing out on the long-gone arcade experience all together). I even recall there being a group argument with my elementary school friends about whether or not Blanka and Zangief were brothers because they had the same chest hair. Everything from learning the basics in Street Fighter II to sinking tons of hours into Alpha 3 and even blindly looking past the fact that the infamous live action movie has the merit of being absurdly horrible when I was younger, I've been inputting quarter circle motions into d-pads for what seems like an eternity now.
Last week I was forced into watching Role Models and it actually turned out to be a good movie but that's not the point. The point I'm trying to get at is about a certain scene in the movie. The scene in question is when 2 people are shown playing a game on the Xbox 360, it's great and all that they're playing a game but what bugs me is HOW they were playing it.
Anytime I see people playing games in movies/tv shows they're always-always wildly flailing their thumbs on the analog sticks and buttons but when the camera cuts back to the screen of the game, the characters are not doing anything else but running around.
I don't know, whenever I see that, it kinda ruins my immersion in the movie since I'm thinking to myself how fake it looks. Maybe I'm just nit-picking or maybe I'm the only person who doesn't flail my thumbs around on a control pad like a mad person but these actors can probably convincingly cry on cue but why can't they convincingly look like they're playing a game? Why am I putting so much thought into this...
- First Game Console Owned: Nintendo Entertainment System
- Console During 16-Bit Era: Sega Genesis
- Favorite Genre: Fighting
- Favorite Character: Travis Touchdown
- Favorite Series: Metal Gear Solid
- Game Spent Most Time Playing: Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Playstation)
- Favorite Childhood Game: Dr. Mario (NES)
- First Game Completed: Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES)
- First Game Hated: Home Alone 2 (NES)
- First Game You Thought You'd Like But Hated: Turok 2: Seeds of Evil (N64)
- Controller Throwing Inducing Moment: Fighting the last boss of Tekken 5's arcade mode Jinpaichi Mishima
- Toughest Boss Ever Taken On: Tidal Wave from Transformers (PS2)
- Worst Game Ever Played: Mortal Kombat: Special Forces (Playstation)
- Worst Movie Based On a Game: Bloodrayne
- Worst Game Based On a Movie: Bad Boys II
- Games You Like But Probably Shouldn't: Dragon Ball Z games
- Most Valued Game In Collection: Marvel vs. Capcom 2 (PS2)
- Favorite Piece Of Game Memorabilia: Guitar Hero II promotional guitar pick
- Game Most Looking Forward To: Super Mario Synchronized Swimming, you know it's probably going to be made soon.
My Recent Reviews
Some people just don't have opinions. Like azn_chosen_one.
azn_chosen_one does not have any recent activity. What a slacker! Maybe you should send azn_chosen_one a private message and ask, "Where are you hiding?"
Only GameSpot friends of this user can view their Wii Number.